Since the nights have dipped into the low 30’s this past week, my family and I have enjoyed turning on the fireplace for some added warmth. Both my wife and I feel that the crackling glow from the fireplace is wonderful for creating memories with our three kiddos. And, they enjoy the stories that we read there, and, most importantly, the smore’s that we roast on the fireplace.
But, as an insurance agent, I am always weary of the dangers that such a fire can create. The cozy wood store and/or fireplace literally has an ash pan of potential problems if they are not properly managed.
It is best to use hardwoods, such as oak. And, always make certain that your firewood is properly seasoned and dry. Did you know that soft woods, such as pine, will burn extremely hot & fast? And, if softer woods aren’t properly dried, the water content in their resins can produce high amounts of creosote buildup in your chimney, which can lead to a house fire.
And, it is very important to note to never put non-wood items in your fireplace, even other cardboard or paper products.
I hope that you are able to enjoy a nice, warm fire with loved ones this season. But, it is always important to understand that dangers are present. Therefore, please take the proper precautions to keep you, your family, and your home safe.
As always, please don’t hesitate to give any of us at Langlois Insurance Agency a call with any of your insurance questions. We always love to hear from our customers!